Employers who wish to make use of the assistance, services and/or facilities offered by the University Career Center at The University of Texas at Dallas must comply with the Recruiting Policies and Guidelines.
Career Expo Policies
- If an employer has an outstanding balance, the organization will not be able to register for any on-campus engagement opportunities
- Event payment must be received before the event, if not received late fees will apply
- Companies that register at the last minute are not guaranteed to be included in any printed event materials. Table placement will be based on availability
- Employers are required to have an active job posting in Handshake prior to registration approval
- Cancellations received at least six weeks prior to the event are eligible for a full refund
- Cancellations received at least four weeks prior to the event are eligible for a 50% refund
- Cancellations received within two weeks prior to the event will not be eligible for a refund
- Event “No-Shows” are still obligated to pay all registration fees in addition to late fees
On-Campus Recruitment Policies
Recruiter Table Reservations
- Organization name will be identified on all materials
- Material will not solicit an off-campus business, organization, agency, national association, or charitable group products and/or services
- Material is not obscene, libelous, or directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is not likely to invite or produce such action
- Pedestrian traffic will not be obstructed
- Disruption or disturbance of regular academic and institutional programs or other approved activities is prohibited
- Individuals may not be accosted, shouted at, forced to purchase items, or required to complete an organization’s survey
- The Recruiting Table will be for the express purpose of recruiting employees for employment opportunities posted through Handshake
- Agreement to maintain the cleanliness of the area
- Agreement to assume financial responsibility for loss or damage to property
Reservations must be cancelled at least two business days in advance. Failure to show up to your reservation will result in a $100 penalty fee.
Other Recruitment Events
Recruitment Events include, but are not limited to: Information Sessions, On-Campus Interviews, and other University Career Center events.
- Requests for on-campus recruitment events must be submitted through Handshake
- Cancellations must be received a minimum of five business days prior to the event
- Employers that cancel their visit must notify students/scheduled applicants of the cancellation immediately
- Only UT Dallas students and alumni who are registered with the UT Dallas Career Center through the Handshake system are permitted to participate in these events
Cancellation fees may be associated with event cancellations; depending on reservation type.
Third-Party Recruitment Policies
The UT Dallas University Career Center Third-Party Statement of Understanding must be completed and submitted with your Handshake account prior to consideration for approval.
The University Career Center (UCC) at The University of Texas at Dallas (UTD) will provide services to third-party recruiters who adhere to National Association of Colleges and Employers’ (NACE) Principles for Third Party Recruiters and Principles For Ethical Professional Practice. We also require your organization to comply with the following UCC policies stated herein:
- Third-Party agencies will not be able to participate in On-Campus Recruiting, Events, and Expos unless they disclose the name of the company to the University Career Center. Must be posted in the Handshake notes
- Third-Party recruiters may only represent one client per attended event
- Third-Party agencies will not be given access to student resumes outside of those who have applied through the Handshake job posting
- The UT Dallas University Career Center will not approve any opportunities that require students to pay fees
- Third-Party agencies must agree that they, or their client, will not forward students’ resumes to any other party without the student/applicant’s written consent. Failure to comply is a violation of The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974
Third-Party event registration may be limited and is at the discretion of the Employer Relations Team.
Posting Jobs in Handshake
- The posted job must clearly indicate the employing organization name, nature of their business and have an official company website
- The company/employer must not solicit or sell their products or services.
- Campus ambassador roles are not permitted
- The posted job must not overstate possible compensation
- The posted job must offer employment and not an investment opportunity
- The posted job preferred email address should be reflective of the company and not a personal email (Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail or other)
- Recruiters representing organizations with a multi-level marketing structure, charge “sign-on” fees, or require the purchase of a “starter kit” are not permitted to post jobs or participate in University Career Center events and expos
- Employers with “straight commission” positions may post jobs, participate in on-campus recruiting, and attend our job fairs. The term “straight commission” must be clearly stated in the job posting so that students are aware and can make a decision as to whether or not they are interested in the opportunity
- Employment professionals will refrain from any practice that improperly influences and affects job acceptances. Such practices may include undue time pressure for acceptances of employment offers and encouragement of revocation of another employment offer
- Full disclosure of any employer/employee contracts must be presented prior to interviewing potential candidates
The UT Dallas University Career Center reserves the right to randomly screen all jobs posted in Handshake.
Posting Internships in Handshake
- The internship must provide supervision for students on a regular basis and be located in a commercial/business office. Remote internships are prohibited
- The position must be located in a commercial/business setting and NOT in a private residence or home office
- All internships posted by a for-profit organization are required to be paid
- The internship must not require students to make investments or cash deposits or involve students purchasing inventory or product for resale
- The internship must not be structured so that students have financial liability for the work of others
- The position must not be strictly commission-based; in cases where commission is involved; there must be additional compensation and a structured learning component
Domestic Worker Employment
The UT Dallas University Career Center does not post babysitting jobs or other positions in which an employee will work out of someone else’s dwelling (apartment, house, condo, etc.)
Campus Brand Ambassador/Student Representative
Postings with the following requirements and structures are ineligible.
Positions requiring interns or employees to market/promote or create/develop free or fee-based programs, products, services, events, etc. and/or collect student information on the UTD campus on behalf of an employer are ineligible. Examples include campus brand ambassadors and student referrals of other students.
The University of Texas at Dallas is committed to the principles that the learning and working environment of its students should be free from inappropriate conduct. We reserve the right to refuse service to employers for factors such as the following:
- Misrepresentation by dishonest information or absence of information
- Complaints by students, alumni, faculty and/or staff
- Harassment of UTD students, alumni, and/or staff
- Breach of confidentiality